Local Transportation to DisCon III
Public transit is a great option for getting to DisCon!
DisCon III is taking place at the Omni Shoreham Hotel, located at 2500 Calvert Street, NW, Washington, DC 20008, which is well served by public transit.
Metrorail: The Omni is located just across Calvert Street from the Woodley Park Metro Station, which is located on Metro’s Red Line. Paying to ride Metrorail requires that you use a SmartTrip Card or a SmartTrip app on your phone to enter and exit the system. Use Metro’s Trip Planner to find your best route.
Shared bikes and scooters: We’re not sure what the weather will be like in Washington in December, but it’s not unheard of for Washington to enjoy a stretch of temperate weather at that time of year. If so, consider using one of DC’s several services offering shared bicycles, e-bikes, and e-scooter. We’re big fans of Capital Bikeshare, but Uber and other companies also offer bikes and scooters in DC.
Want to mix it up? Smartphone users might want to check out Citymapper, our favorite transport app for navigating DC (as well as other cities all over the world). Just enter your destination, and Citymapper will show you a variety of transit options for getting you there, with arrival time and cost estimates and real-time service alerts.
Parking anywhere near the convention will be hard to find. We urge everyone to travel to the convention via public transit, taxi, rideshare, teleportation, or other means that don’t require you to park. The Omni Shoreham Hotel is located across the street from the Woodley Park Metrorail station on Metro’s Red Line and is also served by Metrobus and the DC Circulator Bus. If you must bring a vehicle, please consider carpooling with other fans to reduce the demand on the limited number of parking spaces.
All of the information here is subject to change without notice. Many area parking lots have unexpectedly closed or reduced hours due to staffing shortages and limited demand due to the ongoing pandemic, and the situation is in great flux.
Parking at the Omni Shoreham will be extremely limited and will almost certainly fill up. Having a reservation at the hotel is no guarantee that you will be able to park your car at the hotel, and those attending the convention who are not staying in the hotel are even less likely to be able to park at the hotel. If parking at the hotel is available when you arrive, the fee is a flat $35 per day, and is valet only with no in-and-out privileges for non-guests.
Street Parking anywhere near the Omni Shoreham is highly restricted and often crowded. Except for residents of the neighborhood, most street parking spaces are subject to a two-hour limit during the day and early evening, Monday through Friday. Moving your car to a nearby space after two hours is not permitted: You may still be ticketed for violating the two-hour limit if you park your car elsewhere in the same parking zone. Parking on major roads may be more restricted and is frequently not available at all during morning and evening rush hours or during weather emergencies. Read the often complex signs stating the parking rules carefully before parking your car on the street.
Nearby Paid Parking Lots are few and small and may fill up as well.
If you have a smart phone, your best chance at finding paid parking will be by using a parking finder app, such as Best Parking or Spot Hero. These apps often offer discounted parking, options for pre-booking single or multi-day parking, and sometimes provide access to private garages or parking spaces not otherwise open for public parking.
Other than the hotel lot, we know of only two public parking lots within a mile of the hotel. Prices depend on the day and time of arrival but typically fall in the $15-$25 per day range. These are covered lots and may not be able to accommodate full-size vans or other large vehicles.
- Colonial Parking LeadingAge Building (Lot 609), 2300 Calvert St., NW, 20008 Washington, DC (0.14 miles from Omni Shoreham) (Closes nightly; check before parking overnight or for multiple days)
- Colonial Parking Lot 462, 2415 18th St NW, Washington, DC 20009 (0.61 miles from Omni Shoreham) (Open 24-7)
Paid Parking Further Away. Remember that a parking lot too far away from the Omni Shoreham to walk is still an option, particularly if you don’t need access to your car during the convention. Consider parking at a lot near a Red Line Metrorail station and taking Metro to the Omni (which is at the Woodley Park station). If you do this, consider dropping your luggage at the hotel before parking your car to avoid having to take your luggage on the Metro, and remember that Metro does not run 24-hours per day. There are more options than we can possibly list, but here are some selected remote parking lots:
Near the Dupont Circle Metro station (one stop along the Red Line from the Omni)
- Colonial Parking Lot 470, 1919 Massachusetts Ave NW, Washington, DC 20009 (above-ground parking, near several overflow hotels, open 24-7)
- Colonial Parking Lot, 1333 New Hampshire Ave NW, Washington, DC 20036
(Mon-Fri 7 AM-1 AM; Sat/Sun 11 AM – 1 AM))
Near the Van Ness Metro station (two stops):
- Van Ness Center, 3069 Veazey Terrace NW, Washington, DC 20008 (just off Connecticut Ave, around the corner from the Metro station, open 7 days, closes at 10:30 PM daily but overnight parking permitted)
- OneParking, 4221 Connecticut Ave. (open 7 days a week)
Near the Farragut North Metro station (two stops)
- PMI Parking, 1725 DeSales Street Washington, DC 20036 (near the Mayflower overflow hotel, open 24-7)
- PMI Parking, 1820 L Street NW, Washington, DC 20036 (Mon-Fri 7 AM-9 PM)
- Colonial Parking Lot, 1717 K Street NW, Washington, DC 20006 (Mon-Fri 5 AM-8 PM; Sat/Sun 8AM-7PM)
- Colonial Parking Lot, 1700 K St NW, Washington, DC 20006 (Mon-Thurs 7 AM-10 PM; F 7AM-11PM; Sat 8AM-11PM; Sun 10AM-7PM)
- Colonial Parking Lot, 1800 K St NW, Washington, DC 20006 (Mon-Fri 5 AM-9 PM; Sat/Sun 8AM-7PM)
Near the Metro Center Metro Station (three stops)
- City Center Parking Garage, 870 9th Street (24 hour)
- PMI Parking, 1325 G Street NW, Washington, DC 20005 (24 hour)
- PMI Parking, 1220 E Street NW, Washington, DC 20004 (Mon-Fri: 6 AM – 12 AM)
Near the Gallery Place-Chinatown Metro Station (four stops)
- PMI Parking, 900 New York Ave NW, Washington, DC 20001 (24 hour)
- Colonial Parking Lot, 801 I Street NW, Washington, DC 20001 (24 hour)
Near the Union Station Metro Station (six stops)
- Union Station Parking Garage, 30 Massachusetts Ave NE, Washington, DC 20002 (24 hour)
Near the Woodley Park/Adams Morgan/McPherson Square DC Circulator Route
- PMI Parking, 1401 H Street NW, Washington, DC 20005 (Mon-Fri: 6 AM-12 AM)
- PMI Parking, 1425 New York Avenue NW, Washington, DC 20005 (Mon-Fri: 6 AM-10:30 PM)
Note that overnight parking at Metrorail station parking lots is prohibited for most lots. Metro only allows multi-day parking at four station lots: Greenbelt, Huntington, Franconia-Springfield, and Wiehle-Reston East.